The Bern Gate was first mentioned in history in 1239. It was completely destroyed during the battle against Charles the Bold. Over the years, it had to be rebuilt several times.
The clock, high above on the Bern Gate, was made in 1712 by Ducommun Brothers in La Chaux-de-Fonds. It is still wound every day. Three heavily weighted stones, probably cannonballs from the Battle of Murten, are raised by hand cranking every 24 hours. The clock face on the outside wall has only a one hour hand. This symbolic “hand of oath” means that Murten was a free city.