The Primary School was built between 1836 and 1839 by Murten native and architect Johann Jakob Weibel. It is a testimony to Liberalism, particular to the period of the first half of the 19th Century.
It is also the oldest school house in Switzerland, owing its originality to Italian Renaissance and following the rules of the Munich School of Architecture. Fallen rampart wall stones were used in its construction. The school house has three entrances for separate use by girls, boys and teachers.