According to historical record, a chapel existed here in 1399 and was dedicated to Saint Mary. It was rebuilt in 1710 in the Baroque style. The old chapel has been preserved in the choir section.
The Choir, in Gothic style, dates from 1683 and it is part of the fortification tower. The polygonal pulpit, dating from 1484, is carved from a single oak tree trunk and is decorated with eight pinnacle florets ending in a finial. The oak Stall has thirty seats and was made between 1494 and 1498. On the ceiling, there is a stucco relief in the Louis XIV style, which shows the coats of arms from Bern, Fribourg and Murten.