The castle dates to the time of Count Peter of Savoy II who ordered its construction in 1255. Under the castle gate, dating from 1516, much rebuilding took place.
Following the reign of the Savoy, the castle served as a residence to the bailiffs from Bern and Fribourg. Throughout history, it also served as a hospital, prison and barracks. Today it houses the Canton of Fribourg’s Prefecture of the Lake District.
Every year in august and september the Murten Classics take place in the courtyard of the castle.